1 Corinthians 10: 13

1 Corinthians 10: 13

“No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.”


Psalm 37: 23-28

Psalm 37: 23-28

"The Lord guides the steps of a man and makes safe the path of the one he loves. / Though he stumble he shall never fall for hte Lord holds him by the hand. / I was young and now i am old, but i have never seen the just man forsaken nor his cheldredn begging for bread. / All the day he is generous and lends and his children become a blessing. / Then turn away from evil and do good and you shall have a home for ever; / for the Lord loves justice and will never forsake his friends."


Psalm 118: 13 - 18

Psalm 118: 13 - 18

I was hard-pressed and was falling / but the Lord came to help me. / The Lord is my strength and my song; / he is my savior. / There are shouts of joy and victory / in the tents of the just. / The Lord's right hand has triumphed; / his right hand raised me. / The Lord's right hand has triumphed; / I shall not die, I shall live / and recount his deeds. / I was punished, I was punished by the Lord, / but not doomed to die.


James 1: 1-4

James 1: 1-4

"...Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."


Romans 7:14 - 25

Romans 7:14 - 25

“For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do, I know not. For what I would do, that do I not; but what I hate, that I do. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law, that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing; for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good, I find not. For the good that I would do, I do not; but the evil which I would not do, that I do.


Now if I do that which I would not do, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.”

Jeremiah 15:16

Jeremiah 15:16

Thy words were found, and I ate them, and thy words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by thy name, O LORD, God of hosts.

Bl. Antonietta Meo

Bl. Antonietta Meo

"Pain is like fabric, the stronger it is, the more it's worth."



"When you feel pain, you have to keep quiet and offer it to Jesus for a sinner. Jesus suffered so much for us, but He hadn't committed any sin: He was God. How could we complain, we who are sinners and always offend him?"

St. Leopoldo Mandic

St. Leopoldo Mandic

"I rely on the powerful intercession of Our Lady, on her mother’s heart, for everything. We have in heaven the heart of a mother, The Virgin, our Mother, who at the foot of the Cross suffered as much as possible for a human creature, understands our troubles and consoles us.”


St. Ignatius of Antioch

St. Ignatius of Antioch

"I want only God's bread, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, and for drink I crave his blood, which is imperishable love."

St. Bernadette

St. Bernadette

"May I accept privations, suffering, and humiliations genersouly as Jesus, Mary and Joseph did in order to glorify God."


St. Josemaria Escriva - "The Way"

"Whenever you see a poor, wooden cross, alone, uncared for, worthless...and without a corpus, don't forget that that cross is your cross--the everyday hidden cross, unattractive and unconsoling--the cross that is waiting for the corpus it lacks: and that corpus must be you." - St. Josemaria Escriva

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"SCIENCE REALITY IS STRANGER THAN SCIENCE FICTION"

Technology turns babies into consumer products
Thomas G. Wenski Special to the Sentinel
March 11, 2009

In the early 1800s, a young author, Mary Shelley, wrote one of the most famous works of science fiction about a mad scientist who in his quest to create life never stopped to consider the consequences of his actions. This gothic novel, Frankenstein, or, the Modern Prometheus, was a warning against the overreaching of modern man in the Age of the Industrial Revolution.

Two centuries later, science reality is stranger than science fiction: While scientists have not learned to "create" life, they have learned to manipulate life with various reproductive technologies. That they do so without sufficiently considering the consequences of these actions is born out by the controversy surrounding Nadya Suleman, whom the press has dubbed the "Octomom" after she gave birth to eight children conceived through in-vitro fertilization. Of course, her offspring are not "monsters" but children. But precisely because they are innocent children, one must ask about the morality of such procedures.

Before the birth of these octuplets, in a recent statement by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Dignitas Personae (The Dignity of a Person), the Holy See reiterated the teaching of the Church against in-vitro fertilization and certain other reproductive technologies. In condemning these forms of reproductive technologies, the Church does not wish only to be a scold. In fact, the Church welcomes and encourages the strides that biomedical research has made in opening new possibilities for the treatment of diseases. After all, the father of genetics, Gregor Mendel, was a Catholic priest.

However, the Church insists that the dignity of a person be recognized in every human being from conception to natural death. "This fundamental principle," according to Dignitas Personae, "expresses a great 'yes' to human life and must be at the center of ethical reflection on biomedical research ... "

Because it is possible to do something does not make it necessarily right to do it. Science, if it is to truly serve humanity, cannot separate itself from the demands of ethics. The ends do not justify the means.The process of in-vitro fertilization frequently involves the deliberate destruction of embryos; some 80 percent of embryos produced artificially are sacrificed in efforts to secure successful implantation. Each embryo, however, is an individual human being and not just simply a mass of cells to be used, selected or discarded.

John Paul II observed: The "various techniques of artificial reproduction, which would seem to be at the service of life and which are frequently used with this intention, actually open the door to new threats against life." (Evangelium Vitae 14.)The desire for children is both legitimate and laudable, but not every means is morally acceptable for those wishing to become parents. As Dignitas Personae says, "The origin of human life has its authentic context in marriage and in the family, where it is generated through an act which expresses the reciprocal love between a man and a woman. ... The desire for a child cannot justify the 'production' of offspring, just as the desire not to have a child cannot justify the abandonment or destruction of a child once he or she has been conceived.

"A child should be the fruit of the parents' love — a gift received and accepted and not a consumer product to satisfy someone's subjective desire.

Artificial contraception opened the possibility of sex without procreation; now in-vitro and related technologies proffer procreation without sex. Such technologies divorced from moral reasoning devalue the meaning of human sexuality itself.

Medical science — like any other human endeavor — is not above ethics. Each of us is called to be ethically and socially responsible for our actions. In giving her judgment on the immorality of these procedures, the church insists on "both the unconditional respect owed to every human being at every moment of his or her existence, and the defense of the specific character of the personal act which transmits life." (Dignitas Personae 10.)

The Most Rev. Thomas G. Wenski is the Catholic Bishop of Orlando. source

No comments: